Dr. Jonghun (Jay) Park
Dr. Park is an assistant professor in the School of Graphic Communications Management at Ryerson University. He also is affiliated with the Environmental Applied Science and Management program and Yeates School of Graduate Studies at Ryerson University. Prior to his current roles, he worked within R&D teams at Samsung Electronics Company and Hewlett-Packard (HP) Printing Korea as a Senior Engineer, conducting packaging development and optimization projects for electronics products. He received his PhD in Wood Science and Forest Products, with an emphasis on Packaging Systems and Design, from Virginia Tech, and a Master of Science in Packaging from Michigan State University. He is a Director of the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA)'s North America Division Board, and an active member of the International Association of Packaging Research Institutes (IAPRI).
His research theme is based on the concept that sustainable packaging solutions can be achieved when mechanical packaging interactions and human packaging interactions are quantitatively examined in a system-based design manner. As such, his research program centers on three areas of interest: (1) analysis of the mechanical interactions between packaging components during distribution to reduce the packaging material/operational costs and environmental impacts, (2) investigation of packaging systems and designs using a life cycle assessment (LCA), and (3) quantification of human packaging interactions.
- Ph.D. Virginia Tech, 2015
- M.Sc. Michigan State University, 2011
- B.Sc. Yonsei University, 2009
- GCM 111 – Graphic Communication Technologies
- GCM 210 – Introduction to Packaging
- GCM 240 – Material Science in Print
- GCM 746 – Sustainability in Print and Packaging
- GCM 808 – Outside the box: Package Prototyping
Packaging Sustainability, Packaging Systems and Design, Packaging Distribution, Packaging Dynamics, Life Cycle Assessment, Packaging and Human factors, Smart Packaging
Selected Publications & Presentations
Current/Past Team Members
Dr. Park’s research group is continuously looking for highly motivated students interested in pursuing graduate studies, especially in the Environmental Applied Science and Management at Ryerson University. For more information, please check out the currently available position(s) listed on his research group’s website (https://www.suparlab.com/open-positions, external link) and send your resume and transcript to Dr. Park. Prospective students with an interest in related research areas and previous experience are encouraged to apply.
Professional Membership & Activities
- International Association of Packaging Research Institutes (IAPRI)
- International Safe Transit Association (ISTA)
- Association of Korean-Canadian Scientists and Engineers (AKCSE)
- Pulp and Paper Association (TAPPI)
- The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies (PMMI)
- Global e-Business Association