You are now in the main content area
Dr. Jahangir (Jahan) Tavakkoli
Professor, Undergraduate Program Director
416-979-5000 ext. 557535
Biomedical Ultrasound (Therapeutic and Diagnostic)
Image-guided Ultrasound Surgery
Nonlinear Acoustic Modeling and Simulation
Ultrasound Signal and Image Processing
Ultrasound-Mediated Targeted Drug Delivery
- Advanced Biomedical Ultrasound Imaging and Therapy (ABUITL)
- PhD with Distinction - PhD degree with the Highest Distinction (Très Honorable Avec Félicitations) ranked into the top 10% of PhD graduates in France.
- Senior Member, IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control; and Engineering in Medicine and Biology Societies.
- Associate Member, Acoustical Society of America.
- Member, International Society for Therapeutic Ultrasound.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Medical Physics
- Park E., McCutcheon V., Telliyan T., Liu E., Eisen R., Kinio A., Tavakkoli J., Baker A.J. (2020) Remote ischemic conditioning improves outcome independent of anesthetic effects following shockwave-induced traumatic brain injury. IBRO Reports, 2020 Jun 1, 8:18-27.
- Maraghechi B., Kolios M.C., Tavakkoli J. (2019) Feasibility of detecting change in backscatter energy of acoustic harmonics in locally heated tissues. Int. J. Hyperthermia, 2019 Jan 1, 36(1), 964-974.
- Sobhe Bidari P., Assi H., Cobbold R.S.C., Alirezaie J., Tavakkoli J. (2019) Simulation of acoustic propagation in 3D viscoelastic inhomogeneous media with application to medical shear wave elastography. J. of Theoretical & Computational Acoustics, 2019 Sep 2, 27(03):1950003.
- Shaswary E., Tavakkoli J., Kumaradas C. (2018) Efficient frequency-domain synthetic aperture focusing techniques for imaging with a high-frequency single-element focused transducer. IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Contr. 2018 Nov 16, 66(1):57-70.
- McCutcheon V., Park E., Liu E., Sobhebidari P., Tavakkoli J., Wen X.Y., Baker A.J. (2017) A novel model of traumatic brain injury in adult zebrafish demonstrates response to injury and treatment comparable with mammalian models. J. Neurotrauma, 34(7), DOI: 10.1089/neu.2016.4497.
- Worthington A., Peng P., Rod K., Bril V., Tavakkoli J. (2016) Image-guided high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) system for large animal nerve ablation studies. IEEE J. Translational Eng. in Health and Medicine, Vol. PP, Issue 99, Article # 20002, DOI: 10.1109/JTEHM.2016.2581811.
- Maraghechi B., Hasani M.H., Kolios M.C., Tavakkoli J. (2016) Temperature dependence of acoustic harmonics generated by nonlinear ultrasound wave propagation in water at various frequencies. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 139(5), 2475-2481, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.4946898.
- Shaswary E., Xu Y., Tavakkoli J. (2016) Performance study of a new time-delay estimation algorithm in ultrasonic echo signals and ultrasound elastography. Ultrasonics, 69:11-18, DOI: 10.1016/j.ultras.2016.03.002.
- Rangraz P., Behnam H., Sobhe Bidari P., Tavakkoli J. (2014) Real time monitoring of high- intensity focused ultrasound thermal therapy using the manifold learning method. Ultrasound Med. Biol., 40(12), 2841-2850, DOI: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2014.07.021.
- Alhamami M., Kolios M.C., Tavakkoli J. (2014) Photoacoustic detection and optical spectroscopy of high-intensity focused ultrasound-induced thermal lesions in biologic tissue. Medical Physics, 41(5), 053502, DOI: 10.1118/1.4871621.
- Hasani M.H., Gharibzadeh S., Farjami Y., Tavakkoli J. (2013) Unmitigated numerical solution to the diffraction term in the parabolic nonlinear ultrasound wave equation. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 134, 1775-1790, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.4774278.
- Tavakkoli J., Sanghvi N.T. (2011) Ultrasound-guided HIFU and Thermal Ablation. In: Frenkel V., ed. "Therapeutic Ultrasound: Mechanisms to Applications", Chapter 6, 137-161, Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, NY, January 2011.
|1997||PhD||University of Claude Bernard- Lyon 1, France (Biomedical Physics)|
|1992||MSc||Sharif University of Technology, Iran (Biomedical Engineering)|
|1988||BSc||Sharif University of Technology, Iran (Electrical and Computer Engineering)|