How to Apply
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
See admission requirements here >
December 1, 2017
Priority of Consideration Deadline
Last day to apply for admission to our program in Fall 2018. We are unable to guarantee that the Department will review applications that are received after this date.
Early October 2017
Application Portal Opens
The online portal opens for applications to our MA and PhD programs in Psychology.
Important Information / Before applying, please review the Admissions Requirements for our program to ensure that the minimum application requirements are met. We also suggest that you review our webpage on How to Increase Your Chances of Admission to the Program.
As indicating potential supervisors is required when applying to our program, please PDF filecheck which faculty are accepting students to find out which faculty advisors might be a good match for you. Reviewing the Material Checklist will be helpful in planning for the application process.
Program applicants do not need to submit a separate application form for OGS. All eligible applicants who are newly admitted to a graduate program at Ryerson University will automatically be considered for OGS funding, based on the materials that applicants must submit when applying to the graduate program. Please see Ryerson's webpage about OGS for more details.
References / When you complete the online application (see Submit the Online Application Form, below), you will need to indicate at least 2 referees; however, it is possible that a 3rd or 4th reference will be requested during the interview stage. The online application will ask you to enter the contact information of your two referees; please be sure to confirm the spelling of your referee's contact details (especially their email addresses). After you submit the online application, your referees will receive an email with a link to the letter of reference form. Please see our webpage about referees and letter of reference forms for more information.
Online Application / There is an online application form, external link that must be completed. Please note that your referees will not receive the email with the link to the letter of reference form until the online application has been finalized, so it is important to submit the online application as soon as possible.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) / The General GRE scores are required from all applicants to our program, and the Subject GRE scores are optional but recommended. Please see our webpage about the GREs for more information.
Supplementary Documents / Approximately 4 or 5 business days after you submit the online application form, you will receive an automated email from Ryerson to let you know how you can upload the following additional required application materials to the online portal.
- Online Application Submission Summary: Once you submit your online application, you will be directed to a summary of the information you submitted. Please save a copy of this .pdf summary, and be prepared to upload this to the online portal as part of your application. See "Submit the Online Application Form" below, for more information about submitting the online application form.
- Statement of Interest: Please complete the PDF fileStatement of Interest Form, and be prepared to upload this as part of your application. More information about the Statement of Interest can be found here: Statement of Interest.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV or Résumé): Please be prepared to upload a copy of your CV as part of your application. Suggestions about what to include in the CV are available here: Curriculum Vitae.
- Transcripts: One scanned, electronic copy of a transcript is required from every degree granting post-secondary institution you have attended. Applicants from Ontario universities and colleges will have the option of ordering transcripts while completing the online application. Applicants who have not ordered transcripts while completing the online application should scan each transcript. Please ensure, when scanning your transcripts, that both sides of each transcript page are scanned (unless blank). If you are admitted into the program, you will be required to submit official final transcripts in a sealed envelope, sent directly from the institution. Ryerson students are not required to submit official transcripts of study undertaken at Ryerson (if they were first registered after September 1984). If your transcripts/documents are in a language other than English, you must also provide a notarized English translation; note that translations do not replace original documentation (i.e., both the English translation and the original version must be submitted). More information is available on this page.
- Test of English Language Proficiency: Applicants whose language of instruction during their undergraduate studies was not English are required to submit a test of English language proficiency. Applicants may be required to provide an official statement from their institution confirming the use of English as the language of Instruction. Click here to see the list of acceptable tests and the minimum scores required.
Material Checklist / All of the following materials are required (as noted on the Graduate Admissions Material Checklist), and must be submitted in order for your application to be reviewed.
- Online Application Submission Summary
- Statement of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae (CV or Résumé)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Test of English Language Proficiency
- GRE scores (general test)
Finally, an interview will be required for short listed applicants. Interviews can occur in person, or over the telephone or online (e.g., Skype) for applicants who are unable to visit campus. Applicants will be contacted if they are among those invited for an interview. The program normally holds an "interview day" in early February for shortlisted applicants. In addition, some applicants may be interviewed outside of the standard interview day, depending on their availability and that of the potential supervisor.
If you are an applicant to our program, thank you for applying--we look forward to reviewing your application! If you have questions, about the application process, please contact the Psychology Graduate Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.