Areas of Academic Interest
Multispectral LiDAR data processing
Satellite sensor modelling and image registration
Image analysis and data fusion
Image classification and segmentation
Radiometric correction of LiDAR intensity data
Applications of remote sensing in civil engineering
Several times a year, Ahmed Shaker flies abroad for a conference or collaboration. Heading to locales like Spain, Hong Kong, Kuwait and his native Egypt, he has an opportunity to experience something dear to him: the sight of the earth from high above. “When I was a child, I wanted to be a pilot so I could have that view all the time,” he says.
In his research, Shaker specializes in using remote sensing to transform satellite images into highly detailed maps of the earth’s surface. “Our group is one of a few in the world using laser pulses and sensors to record both location data and the strength of the reflected energy,” he says. “We can now accurately determine the nature of surface materials and identify roads, rivers, grasslands or even lamp posts.”
Throughout his career, Shaker has led dozens of projects. His recent work involves applying cutting-edge 3D laser scanners that measure light in three wavelengths. The process enables him to automatically delineate between land and water, and has produced the first-ever laser-scanner land cover maps—innovations befitting an engineer who appreciates a good view.
“I love exploring something that is completely unknown.”
- Dean’s Teaching Award, Ryerson Award, 2015
- Bronze Medal Award, Canadian Remote Sensing Society (CRSS), 2011
- Faculty Scholarly, Research and Creative Activity Award, Ryerson University, 2011
- Marie Curie Incoming International Fellowship, European Commission, 2006
- Morsy, S., Shaker, A., and El-Rabbany, A. 2018. Using Multispectral Airborne LiDAR Data for Land/Water Discrimination: A Case Study at Lake Ontario, Canada. Applied Science, 8(3), p.349.
- Yan, W.Y. and Shaker, A. 2018. Airborne LiDAR intensity banding: cause and solution. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. Volume 142, external link, August 2018, Pages 301-310
- Shaker, A., Easa, S., and Yan, W.Y. 2017. Improved parameter estimation of point- and line-based transformation model for remote sensing image registration. Journal of Imaging, 3(3), 32.
- Faisal, K., & Shaker, A. 2017. Improving the Accuracy of Urban Environmental Quality Assessment Using Geographically-Weighted Regression Techniques. Sensors, 17(3), 528.
- Pan, N., Hou, M., Lv, S., Hu, Y., Zhao, X., Ma, Q., Li, S., and Shaker, A. (2017). Extracting faded mural patterns based on the combination of spatial-spectral feature of hyperspectral image. Journal of Cultural Heritage, 27, 80-87.
- Invited Speaker
- Amethyst Workshop, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta, November 2015. Presentation title “Radiometric correction and normalization of LiDAR intensity data for urban land cover classification”.
- Graduate Seminars, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Western University, London, Ontario, November 2015. Presentation title “Applications of Remote Sensing in Civil Engineering”.
- LiDAR 2016 Workshop, Laval University, May 2016. Presentation title “Potentials of new LiDAR technology to engineering applications, external link, opens in new window”
- Panellist, Resilient Infrastructure Professional Youth Workshop, Canadian Society of Civil Engineering Annual Conference, London, Ontario, June 1-4, 2016.
- ISPRS Technical Panel Session, Potential use of multi-spectral LiDAR in land cover classification, IGTF 2017, ASPRS Annual Meeting 2017, March 12–16, 2017 Baltimore, Maryland
- Vice-President, Commission III (Remote Sensing), ISPRS 2016-2020
- Session Chair, 36th Canadian Symposium of Remote Sensing, Winnipeg, Canada, June 7-9, 2016.
- Special Session Chair, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering Annual Conference, London, Ontario, Canada, June 1-4, 2016.
- Executive Member (Director), Canadian Remote Sensing Society (2014-2017).
- Member, Technical Program Committee, Canadian Symposium of Remote Sensing, Winnipeg, Canada, 2016.
- Chair, Toronto Chapter, Canadian Remote Sensing Society (2015-2017).
- Co-Chair, Commission VII, Working Group IV (Methods for Image Classification), International society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 2012-2016
- Co-Chair, Toronto Branch, Canadian Institute of Geomatics, 2013 – 2016
- Co-Chair, Joint International Conference on Geospatial Theory, Processing, Modelling and Applications, Toronto, Canada, 6-8 October, 2014.
- Co-Chair Local Organizing Committee, Joint Canadian Institute of Geomatics Annual Conference and the 2013 International Conference on Earth Observation for Global Changes (EOGC’2013) held in Toronto, June 5-7, 2013
- Member of the Technical Program (TP) committee of the IGARSS 2014 - 2014 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Quebec City, Canada from July 13-18, 2014