Dr. Khandaker M. Anwar Hossain
Areas of Academic Interest
Sustainable construction materials using wastes, volcanic and underused materials
High-ultra high performance concrete and self-consolidating concrete
Ductile engineered and smart self-healing concrete composites
Geopolymer-based green zero cement concrete
Innovative joint-free bridge/steel-concrete composite building systems
Finite element modelling and expert system development
Strengthening and retrofitting of structures with life-cycle analysis
|1995||University of Strathclyde||PhD|
|1990||Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)||MSc|
|1982||Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)||BSc|
Growing up in Bangladesh, Anwar Hossain was no stranger to cyclones and flooding. "When I was eight, I watched the massive destruction caused by a tidal wave," he says. "Millions of people died. So I wanted to make buildings better and people safer.”
Hossain earned his bachelor’s degree in Bangladesh and doctorate in Glasgow. After teaching and conducting research in Scotland, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand, Hossain arrived in Canada. “One thing I learned was that I can contribute in different places, cultures and languages. But my main interest is consistent: robust, resilient and sustainable infrastructure and construction systems. This is how I try to improve the quality of people’s lives and the environment.”
Hossain is especially interested in smart, self-healing materials. “These are structures that can seal their own cracks and conserve our natural resources by having a greatly extended service life. And improved durability means greater protection of people.”
“Being an educator and helping to shape highly-qualified professional engineers has always been my goal.”
- 2018 ACI Wason Medal for Materials Research
- 2012-2014 Champion of Diversity Award from Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
- 2011-12 Dean’s Teaching Award, Ryerson University
- 2005 Award of excellence by the Ontario Ministry of Public Infrastructure Renewal, Canada
- “Bond Strength of GFRP Bars Embedded in Engineered Cementitious Composite using RILEM Beam Testing”, K.M.A. Hossain, International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, 2018, 12 (1).
- “Finite element modeling of impact shear resistance of double skin composite wall”, K.M.A. Hossain, S. Rafiei, M. Lachemi, K. Behdinan and M.S. Anwar, Thin-Walled Structures J., 107(oct 2016), 101-118.
- “Advanced Engineered Cementitious Composites with Combined Self-Sensing and Self-Healing Functionalities”, H. Siad, M. Lachemi, M. Sahmaran, and K.M.A. Hossain, Construction and Building Materials, 176 (2018) 313-322.
- “Permeation and Transport Properties of Self-healed Cementitious Composite Produced with MgO Expansive Agent”, M.A.A. Sherir, K.M.A. Hossain and M. Lachemi, ASCE J. of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30(11), 2018, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0002466.
- “Flexural fatigue performance of ECC link slabs for bridge deck applications”, K.M.A. Hossain, S. Gahtrehsamani and M.S. Anwar, Sustainable Bridge Structure, (Ed. K M Mahmoud), Chapter 22, CRC Press-Balkema, Taylor & Francis Group, EH Leiden, The Netherlands, pp. 247-260, 2015.
- Member of Professional Societies: Active as member of Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO); Member, Canadian Society for Civil Engineers (CSCE); Member, American Concrete Institute (ACI); Chartered Member of Structural Engineering Institute (SEI); Member, Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE).
- Reviewer of International Journals: Acting as a reviewer of numerous technical papers of over 30 International Journals including CJCE, ACI, ASCE, Elsevier, Springer, Techno-press, Thomas Telford Journals etc.
- Editor of Journals: Since 2007 served as an Editorial board member of “Structural Engineering & Mechanics – An International Journal”, Journal Construction Engineering and Advances in Civil Engineering.
- Member Conference Organizing Committee: Served as a member of the organizing Committee of Int. Conferences and as an editor.
- Session Chair & Reviewer of Conferences: Acting as a reviewer of technical papers and as session chairs for many International Conferences over the years (such as: CSCE’s annual conferences since 2003, Structural Fault & Repair Conferences since 2010, European Bridge Conference 2012, New York City Bridge Conference 2015 and others).
- Invited Speakers: Served as an invited speaker at conferences and professional events/forums in different countries.
- Reviewer of Research Grant Proposals (Canada, International) (2008-Now): Acted as a reviewer of Research Grant Proposals for National Research Foundation in South Africa; AUB (American University Beirut) Research Grant, Sultan Kaboos University, Qatar; Mitacs Elevate Research proposal (Canada); NSERC CRD Grant (Canada); NSERC Discovery Grant (Canada), Mitacs Accelerate Program (Canada); Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong RGC's Theme-based Research Scheme (TRS).
- Reviewer of Promotion applications (Canada, International): Served as a reviewer of promotion applications for Canadian and International Universities.
- Reviewer of scholarship applications: Served as an adjudication panel member to review Ontario Government scholarship (OGS) applications of students from Ontario Universities.
- Hosting presentation and seminars: At Ryerson, hosted presentation and seminars by inviting international and Canadian speakers since 2007.
- Research collaborations (since 2008): Research on sustainable construction materials (including high performance and smart self-healing materials) and novel forms of structural systems for building and bridge infrastructures has been initiated/conducted in collaboration with government and industrial partners such as NSERC, MTO, CANAM Group, Lafarge Canada, St. Marys cement, King Concrete, Trancels Construction Technologies, Marine recyclers, Newark Group, Royal Adhesives & Sealants Ltd, V-ROD Ltd., NCK Inc, DTS Inc., Caraustar Inc. and others.
- Researched in collaboration with with research groups at various international universities and organizations such as: Queen's University Belfast, UK; University of Wolverhampton, UK; Papua New Guinea University of Technology; Sustainable Construction & Tradescan Limited Bangladesh; Papua New Guinea Ready Mixed Concrete Company Ltd, Various Universities in UAE; University of Aberdeen, UK; University of Strathclyde, Glasgow UK; University New South Wales, Sydney; UKM, Malaysia, Kumamoto University (Japan); Vvarious universities in Turkey; f IFMA- France; Fozhu University of China; University of Michigan, USA; Bangladesh University of Technology, BUET.
- PEO activities since 2003: Providing voluntary service as a mentor to train and advice internationally trained engineers to improve their skills for their smooth integration to Canadian job market and society under the initiatives of PEO Scarborough chapter. Attended programs offered by PEO Scarborough chapter on improving mentoring skills.
- Acting as a member of the CSCE’s Materials and Mechanics Division and CSCE’s Structural division and also involve in the technical committee of the CSCE’s International Engineering Mechanics and Materials Specialty Conferences and Structural specialty conferences during CSCE’s annual general meeting.
- As a member of ACI, participating in various programs of ACI local chapters and as a reviewer of ACI technical Journals. Also serving as a voting member of ACI Committee 213: Lightweight Aggregate and Concrete and ACI Committee 232: Fly Ash and Natural Pozzolans.