WHY GO TO CORTONA?
- Unique learning opportunity: Learn about the creative heritage of Italy and participate in field trips across Tuscany curated by local experts.
Unleash your creativity: Apply your creative skills working on innovative projects with cultural and industry leaders.
Network with top names: Learn from and network with industry leaders including National Geographic, Washington Post, New York Times, Canon, and more!
Gain International Experience: Work with local clients on creative projects including the City of Cortona and affiliated organizations.
Access Exclusive Events: Participate in Cortona’s International Photography Festival as well as the Innovation Conference attended by hundreds of professional photographers, journalists, editors, curators, and entrepreneurs from around the world.
- Get Funding: Eligible to get $2,000 in travel grants through FCAD’s Passport Fund. Details are below.
Design Solutions Supercourse (CRI 815)
You’ll be part of an interdisciplinary team working directly with local community and industry partners, including the City of Cortona, to find innovative solutions to real-world problems related to tourism in Italy. Your solutions will be presented at the Design Innovation Conference. No prerequisite required.
Design Seminar: Italian Design History (IRH 401)
In this experiential course, you will walk down the memory lane of Italian history to explore key breakthroughs in in arts and design innovation. You will go on six experiential field trips across Tuscany to learn first-hand about the Italian approach to creativity throughout history. No prerequisite required.
Interior Design VII (IRN 700)
Reimagine the 14th-century Girifalco Fortress through creative and experimental design. You will present your design to the City of Cortona, ONTHEMOVE Cultural Association, and members of the community. Available only to Interior Design Students.
YOUR STUDY ABROAD OPTIONS
Choose one of the following options. Note that all cost estimates include round-trip airfare, accommodation, travel insurance, and personal in-country travel expenses:
Course: Design Solutions Supercourse (CRI 815)
Duration: 1 course for 2 weeks (June 30 - July 15, 2019)
Approx. cost: $2,235.50
Course: Design Seminar: Italian Design History (IRH 401)
Duration: 1 course for 6 weeks (May 19 - June 29, 2019)
Approx. cost: $4,481.50
Courses: Design Solutions Supercourse (CRI 815) AND Design Seminar: History of Design (IRH 401)
Duration: 2 courses for 8 weeks (May 19 - July 15, 2019)
Approx. cost: $5,622
*Only available to Interior Design students
Courses: Design Solutions Supercourse (CRI 815), Design Seminar: History of Design (IRH 401), AND Interior Design VII (IRN 700)
Duration: 3 courses for 8 weeks (May 19 - July 15, 2019)
Approx. cost: $5,702
*A full cost breakdown (excluding tuition) of each Cortona option can be found here: Cost Breakdown.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Deadline to apply: 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 1st, 2019
- Fill out the Online Application Form: here
- Submit a $350 deposit cheque in-person to Stephanie Fibiger, Academic Coordinator, located at this address: 302 Church Street (SID-107). Your cheque should be addressed to: Ryerson University, School of Interior Design and in the memo area write: Cortona Studies.
HOW WILL MY CORTONA CREDITS COUNT TOWARDS MY DEGREE?
|Program||CRI 815||IRH 401|
|Fashion||Professionally Related Credit (Table III)||Professionally Related Credit (Table III)
|Creative Industries||Open Elective||Open Elective|
|GCM||Open Elective||Open Elective|
|RTA||Open Elective||Open Elective|
|Journalism||Open Elective||Open Elective|
|Professional Communication||Open Elective||Open Elective|
|Interior Design||Professionally Related Credit||Core Course|
|Image Arts||Open Elective||Open Elective|
|Performance||Open Elective||Open Elective|
- Passport Fund: FCAD students are eligible to apply for the Passport Fund to get $2,000 in travel fund. Apply for this fund by Friday, February 1st, 2019 through www.ryerson.ca/fcad/international/Funding/.
- Ann Le Ber Travel Awards: Interior Design students applying to Cortona are automatically considered for a $1,000 to $3,000, this fund is available to full-time undergraduate students in the School of Interior Design. For more information, visit: https://rsid.ryerson.ca/resources/awards.
If you have any questions or interested in a one-on-one meeting, please contact FCAD International at email@example.com.
The Cortona Experience is offered to you in partnership with Cortona On The Move.