Faculty & Staff Reimbursement
Ryerson reimburses faculty and staff for reasonable business expenses in accordance with our policies and procedures, including the Faculty and Staff Reimbursement Policy and Reimbursement of Business Meals, Travel and Expenses Policy. All expenses must be reasonable and cost-effective, supported with backup documentation and approved and authorized by your one-up approver and/or the individual with signing authority on the cost centre being charged.
Submitting a reimbursement request
Full-time faculty and staff
- Submit an electronic reimbursement claim through the Ryerson University Financial Information System (RUFIS or Oracle), opens in new window.
- Attach backup documentation (e.g. receipts, boarding passes, hotel folios) supporting your expense claim in the financial system
- documentation must be attached prior to submitting this expense for approval
- You must retain original receipts for 90 days from the date your claim is submitted in RUFIS, in case they are required to complete your reimbursement request. Receipts must be destroyed once the 90-day retention period has passed.
Non-full-time faculty and staff (who do not have access to RUFIS) can submit hardcopy reimbursement claims and provide supporting backup documentation using the following forms:
- travel-related reimbursements can be submitted using the Travel Advance/Expense Form
- all other reimbursements can be submitted using the Cheque Requisition Form
Once complete, submit your claim via internal mail or the Financial Services dropbox at 1 Dundas Street West, 9th floor.
For questions specific to electronic reimbursement, please contact email@example.com or 416-979-5000, ext. 554274. For more information, refer to the Faculty and Staff Reimbursement Policy and Faculty and Staff Reimbursement Procedure.
Methods of payment
By default, reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses are paid by cheque. Direct deposit is also available and recommended. To register for direct deposit, also known as electronic funds transfers (EFTs), please contact Payment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an EFT Registration Form.
Frequent reimbursement requests
If you have frequent business-related expenses, we recommend applying for the Ryerson Purchasing Card (P-Card) to reduce the need for covering business-related travel and expenses out-of-pocket.
Find more about how to apply on the Purchasing Card page.
Allowable business expenses: Common questions
The Reimbursement of Alcoholic Beverage Expenses Policy describes when, for whom and how Ryerson will provide reimbursement for alcoholic beverages. In general:
- alcoholic beverages are acceptable expenditures when
- they are consumed in relation to university-related business
- consumption is nominal or moderate and based on sound judgement in this regard
- they are permitted under the terms of the funding source
In no circumstances are alcoholic beverages considered reimbursable expenses for suppliers, consultants or contractors.
If alcoholic beverages are part of your claim, please note:
- your claim must be approved by someone who is at least one administrative level higher than you, unless otherwise delegated in accordance with the Delegation of Financial Signing Authority Policy
- your claim must include the name of the department hosting the event, the purpose and a list of attendee names
Generally, eligible business travel expenditures include:
- transportation (air, train, bus, taxis, airport buses, car rentals, parking, public transportation, personal vehicle use)
- registration costs
- other expenditures deemed reasonable and prudent
If your Ryerson Purchasing Card (P-Card) profile does not allow you to make travel-related purchases, you can request advance funding by completing the Travel Advance Form. Once your approver has signed off, submit your form to the Financial Services dropbox at 1 Dundas Street West, 9th floor.
After your trip, full-time employees must:
- submit your business trip expenses in RUFIS expense claims and reimbursements (iExpense), opens in new window
- upload all itemized receipts, including what was requested on the travel advance
After your trip, non-full-time employees must:
- complete the Travel Expense Statement section of the Travel Advance Form used to request the advance
- include all original receipts related to the business trip.
If your expenses amount to higher than the advance costs, you’ll be reimbursed the difference. For expenses less than the advance request, you’ll need to return the funds to one of the following:
- The Faculty and Staff Cash Office
- the Financial Services dropbox at 1 Dundas Street West, 9th floor.
For assistance, contact the iExpense Administrator at iExpAdmin@ryerson.ca or 416-979-5000, ext. 554274.
All employees travelling on Ryerson business can choose between two options when submitting for reimbursement:
- By claiming actual meal costs with receipts to support the purchase.
- By claiming the maximum daily allowance, or per diem value, according to location and meal:
Maximum daily per diem
Recommended per diem value
Breakfast $10, Lunch $15, Dinner $25
Breakfast $10, Lunch $15, Dinner $25
Breakfast $15, Lunch $22, Dinner $38
If you're submitting via the receipt-based method, continue to follow the existing process and prompts in RUFIS expense claims and reimbursements (iExpense), opens in new window and on the manual Travel Expense Form.
When submitting for the per diem value in RUFIS expense claims and reimbursements, click the per diem expenses tab once you reach the cash and other expenses step. On the manual Travel Expense Form, enter the number of days you're travelling and the total per diem value you're claiming once you reach the final page.
Mileage is reimbursed at $0.50 per kilometre or $0.80 per mile.
When submitting for mileage claims in RUFIS expense claims and reimbursements (iExpense), opens in new window, click the Mileage Expenses tab once you reach the cash and other expenses step. Enter the total number of kilometres or miles traveled per day and click the calculate button.
On the manual Travel Expense Form, enter the total distance travelled along with the rate you’re claiming and calculate the total amount owed. Please include a printout of your route from Google Maps, external link to support the distance traveled.
Complete the Travel Expense Form and submit it for processing via the Financial Services dropbox at 1 Dundas Street West, 9th floor.
Complete one form per traveller, even when travelling as part of a research group. Please allow 10 business days for processing.
The balance for the Professional Development Reimbursement Fund for Members of the Ryerson Faculty Association (PERF) can be checked by your department administrator in the financial system.
Booklets of 30 taxi chits can be ordered at no charge from the Faculty and Staff Cash Office. To place an order, email your request to Suzzan McEwan, faculty and staff payment analyst, at email@example.com or 416-979-5000, ext. 7739 with your cost centre information. Once the booklets have been received, the Faculty and Staff Cash office will contact you for sign-off and pickup.