- Frank Clayton PDF file"How an Appreciation of Economics Will Make You a Better Land Use Planner," presentation at 2017 Ontario Professional Planners Institute Conference, October 5, 2017.
What We're Reading
PDF file"BILD Municipal Benchmarking Study."
By: Altus Group Economic Consulting for BILD | September 2020
"Housing Market Outlook: Special Edition, Spring 2020.", external link
By: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation | May 2020
"Pandemic Reshapes Economic Picture for Canadian Cities."
By: The Conference Board of Canada | May 2020
"Corona Escape: City to Suburbs.", external link
By: The New York Times | May 2020
PDF file"Big city rental blues: A look at Canada's rental housing deficit."
By: RBC | September 2019
PDF file"Examining the Feasibility and Option for an Inclusionary Zoning Policy in Toronto.", external link
By: Focus Consulting for Maytree | July 2019
"Safe as Houses.", external link
By: The Economist | June 2019
PDF file"Evaluation of Potential Impacts of an Inclusionary Zoning Policy in the City of Toronto.", external link
By: N. Barry Lyon Consultants for the City of Toronto | May 2019
"Order Without Design: How Markets Shape Cities., external link"
By: Alain Bertaud | December 2018
PDF file"Planning the Next GGH.", external link
By: Pamela Blais | December 2018
PDF file"The Future of Housing in the GTHA: The Impact of Land Use Policy., external link"
By: Matthew Cory | November 2018
PDF file"What is the Missing Middle? A Toronto Housing Challenge Demystified., external link"
By: Michelle German | August 2018
PDF file"The GTHA's Unbalanced Housing Stock: Benchmarking Ontario's New LPAT System.", external link
By: Paul Smetanin | December 2018
Through the Roof: The High Cost of Barriers to Building New Housing in Canadian Municipalities, external link
By: Benjamin Dachis and Vincent Thivierge, CD Howe Institute, May 2018
PDF fileRoom to Grow: Comparing Urban Density in Canada and Abroad, external link
By: Josef Filipowicz, Fraser Institute, January 2018
PDF fileScaling Up Affordable Ownership Housing in the GTA, external link
Canadian Urban Institute | June 2017
The following is a list of academic and professional research centres, institutes and professional organizations producing interest work in urban research.
- The City Institute, York University, external link
- Institute of Urban Studies, University of Winnipeg, external link
- Institute on Municipal Finance & Governance (IMFG) – The Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, external link
- Sauder School of Business: Canadian Cities Housing & Real Estate Data, University of British Columbia, external link
- The School of Public Policy, University of Calgary, external link, opens in new window
- Planning in theory & practice, Dalhousie University, external link
- Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, University of Minnesota, external link
- Center for Urban Economic Development, University of Illinois at Chicago, external link
- Center for Urban Initiatives and Research, University of Wisconsin, external link
- Great Cities Institute, University of Illinois, external link
- Institute for Environmental Science and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago, external link
- National Center for Smart Growth Research & Education, University of Maryland, external link
- Metropolitan Research Center, University of Utah, external link
- The Milwaukee Idea, Brownfields Research Consortium, University of Wisconsin, external link
- Center for Urban & Regional Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, external link, opens in new window
Other Research Centres & Think Tanks
- Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program, external link
- Canadian Urban Institute (CUI), external link
- Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity (CSCA)
- CD Howe Institute, external link
- Conference Board of Canada report: PDF file"What We Heard: Shaping Canada's National Housing Strategy", external link, November 2016.
- Fraser Institute, external link
- The Furman Centre for Real Estate & Urban Policy, external link
- Macdonald-Laurier Institute, external link
- Montreal Economic Institute, external link
- The Mowat Centre, external link
- Neptis Foundation, external link
- New Zealand Productivity Commission, external link
- Pembina Institute, external link
- Smart Prosperity Insitute, external link
- Toronto Region Board of Trade, external link
- Terwilliger Centre for Housing, external link, opens in new window