You are now in the main content area

Academic Advising

Announcements for Current Students

Significant Dates

For a full list of comprehensive dates for the school year, please refer to the Ryerson Undergraduate Calendar, available below.

Final Exams - Student Information

The final exam schedule, external link, opens in new window is now posted. Here are some questions commonly asked by students:

Can I move my exams?
The final examination policy, external link allows a student to move an exam in a conflict or overload situation.

What is an example of a conflict and overload?
Conflicts are easy: two exams at the same time. Overloads are three final exams on the same day, or three consecutive exam sessions, including The Chang School exams. The usual exam sessions are on the exam website, external link.

For example, these are overloads: 
8:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., and 7:00 p.m. on the same day
3:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m., and the next morning at 8:00 a.m.

This situation is not an overload:
12:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., and the next morning at 8:00 a.m., as the schedule skips the 7:00 p.m. exam session.

How do I move an exam?

Students must notify their department by November 15, and the program department or school is responsible for making other arrangements. The final exam policy, external link under procedures 4.3 has details.

Why isn't my Chang School exam on the final exam schedule?
Chang School exams are usually held on the last day of class in the regular classroom. Check the course syllabus or confirm with the instructor.

What else do I need to know about exams?
Exam procedures are found on the exams website.
The Student Guide, external link has information about other common situations.



Enrollment Dates

  • Tuesday, December 31st, 2019 (8AM) = First Year Enrollment Date
  • Monday, December 30th, 2019 (8AM) =  Second Year Enrollment Date
  • Friday, December 27th, 2019 (8AM) = Third Year Enrollment Date
  • Thursday, December 26th, 2019 (8AM) =  Fourth Year Enrollment Date

Any student who did not complete course intentions will be blocked from enrolling on their enrollment date and will have to wait until the open enrollment period to build their time table.

Thursday, January 2nd, 2020 to Friday, January 24th = Winter Enrollment Period 


Additional Tips

Add a Backup

If you're having trouble getting into a course or a section of a course that you want, my advice woud be to try adding an alternative course as a backup. Use the swap function if the course you want becomes available.

Trouble adding a Liberal Studies or Open Elective course?   

You can find detailed information and advice in the tab section above titled "Liberal Studies".

Courses requiring ‘Departmental Permission’.

If a course requires ‘Dept Permission’ it means you cannot add it yourself.  You will need to email either (or the department offering the course) during the Open Enrollment Period (January 2nd to January 24th, 2020) to have that course manually added to your intentions.

Avoid taking courses out of sequence with your degree structure.

Any time you step out of sequence with your degree you run the risk of encountering scheduling difficulties.  This may delay your degree completion.

Please note that the university is closed December 20th, 2019 through until Monday, January 6th, 2020.

Having trouble adding a liberal studies course you know is being offered?

Unfortunately, just because a course is listed on the Liberal Studies Table, or the Open Elective Table does not guarantee that you will be able to take it.

Some courses are "flagged" (i.e. off limits) for some programs.  For example a PSY course may be restricted to Psychology or Nursing students. The university will make sure all programs requiring the course, have first refusal.  

Only once those students are all in, will any remaining spots become available for general enrolment. This typically happens during the ‘Open Enrollment Period’.

TIP! My advice is add a "back-up" Liberal Studies/Open Elective. You can then 'swap' out if the back-up course if the one you realy want becomes availible.


Does this course satisfy a Liberal Studies requirement? 

If you wish to know whether a course satisfies a Liberal Studies requirement, you can simply look to see if it is listed on the Liberal Studies Tables, opens in new window.

All Chang School courses that fulfil Liberal Studies requirements say so right in the course description, which can be found on the Chang website. 


" the end of this course, students will be able to read and write simple sentences and to talk about subjects related to family, studies, and social environment". (Lower-level liberal studies elective)

For more information regarding Liberal Studies courses, please vist the Faculty of Arts, Liberal Studies page.

What satisfies an Open Elective requirement?

You can check which courses satisfy an Open Elective requirement by looking at the Open Elective Table, opens in new window in the Undergraduate Academic Calendar for that year.

If it's listed, it satisfies it!

If you want to know if a Chang School course can be used to satisfy an Open Elective requirement, again, just look to see if the course is listed on the Open Elective Table.

Note: All courses taken through the Chang School have the letter 'C' in front of them. So for example, PSY 105 taken through The Chang School will be listed as CPSY 105PSY 105 and CPSY 105 are the same course, and both will satisfy an Open Elective requirement; the only difference is that one was taken at The Chang School for Continuing Education. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Degree Requirements

What do I need for my degree?

Use the 3 tools below and you should find it easy to keep track of your degree progression.

1)  B.A Creative Industries image fileStudyplan, opens in new window

Much like a shopping list, simply print off a copy of the Studyplan and check off the courses as you move through your degree. It's that simple!    

You can view your courses at any point via RAMSS by selecting, > 'Academics'  Academic History'  List Courses.


2)  Academic Calendar, opens in new window

The Academic Calendar lists all policies for the University, as well as your full degree requirements, and all course information.


3)  Advisement Report, opens in new window

The Advisement Report is an online tool for Undergraduate degree students. Accessed via RAMSS, it shows all the courses that you have taken, enrolled in, or completed for your degree. 

Planned Course Offerings for 2019/2020

The below PDFs show which Table I, II, and III courses are being offered in Fall 2019 and Winter 2020.

Please note that these were accurate at time of posting, but are subject to change.

For up to the minute course offerings you should always refer to RAMSS.


PDF fileTable I, opens in new window (Creative Industries Courses) 

Note:  At least TWO Table I courses must be completed prior to graduation.   


Table II (Creative Content Modules)


PDF fileTable III, opens in new window (Business Courses) 

Liberal Studies, Open Electives, and Chang School Courses

Below you will also find links to the Liberal Studies Tables, and the Open Elective Tables.  

If a course is listed on the 'Open Elective Table' it satisfies an Open Elective.   If a course is listed on a 'Liberal Studies Table', then it satisfies a Liberal Studies requirement.  It is that easy!

Remember not every course is offered every term/year.

Academic Consideration

If you've missed an exam, assignment, or any other graded work due to illness or extenuating personal circumstances, you should request academic consideration. Academic considerations should be submitted within 72 hours of the missed deadline and should be submitted online through the Academic Consideration portal, opens in new window, available through the button below.

Academic consideration requests should only be submitted for graded work. Please note that instructors are not obligated to grant academic consideration requests.

PDF filePolicy 134 which governs' Academic Consideration and Appeals' can also be found on the Senate website.

As always if you have any questions, or require clarification, just ask. We can be reached via

Short-term vs. Permanent Withdrawal

A student may wish to (voluntarily) temporarily withdraw from their program of studies for either the current academic term or for future academic term(s) due to financial, health, personal, academic or other reasons. This is callled a 'Short-term Withdrawal'.

Students can withdraw for up to 12 months at any one time.

The final deadline to submit a Short Term Withdrawal Request can be found in the Significant Dates section of the current Undergraduate Calendar.

Taking courses through The Chang School for Continuing Education

Any course that fulfils a lower or upper level Liberal Studies requirement indicates that right in the course description on The Chang School website.

Example:"This course examines the development of societies in the Caribbean from the intrusion of European explorers and settlers c.1492 to the dismantling of the slave systems in the 19th century, and beyond to issues, such as independence, affecting the region in modern times. (Lower-level liberal studies elective)"

You can also check the various tables to see if the Chang school course you plan to take can be used to satisfy that specific area. 

 If it's listed, it fulfills that area! 

Note: Courses take through the Chang School start with a ‘C’.  For example, PSY 999 becomes CPSY 999.  

Use the images below to help you search for courses.

How to search for Chang School, opens in new window courses

Step One

Step Two

Step Three

Step Four

Step Five

Academic Standings (Clear, Probation, RTW)

The university will assign your 'Academic Standing' at the end of each term.   You standing is based on your cumulative grade point average.  

If you find yourself on Probation or Required To Withdraw, you will be notified. Don't panic!

Read the detailed FAQ's regarding academic standings (Clear, Probation, Required to Withdraw).  Trust me, it wil help.

As always, if you have any questions, just ask (


You can view a full list of Minor options, as well as the policy governing Minors (Senate Policy 148) in the 2019/20 Undergraduate Calendar, opens in new window.

Note: There are a number of rules regarding Minors. Make sure you read over the rules and requirements carefully as you are responsible for its successful completion.

There are also FAQ's on the Curriculum Advising Office, opens in new window website which you will hopefully find useful.

RAMSS SUPPORT, opens in new window

RAMSS support offers step-by-step guides on topics such as how to,

 and much more!

The guides are comprehensive, and include screen caps.

Check them out if you have any concerns when it comes to navigating RAMMS. 

Double counting courses with in the B.A Creative Industries degree is not allowed. 


What this means is you cannot try to use a course towards more than one table within the degree. 

Example 1)

If you have taken CRI 550 for your Table II > Publishing and Printing Module, you cannot also use this course to satisfy a Table I (CRI) requirement.  

Example 2) 

If you are taking CMN 315  as part of your Table II > Communication Studies Module, you cannot also use CMN 315 to satisfy an Open Elective Table requirement.


The easiest way is to think of your B.A Creative Industries it in terms of total courses.  

Of the 42 credits required for your degree, you need,

  • 16 required/core courses (CRI100, BSM200, ACC340  etc)
  • 3 x Lower Level Liberal Stuides courses 
  • 3 x Upper Level Liberal Stuides courses 
  • a minimum of 2 x Table I courses, 
  • 4 x Table I or Open Elective courses,
  • 12 x Table II (Creative Content Module) courses. (Six from Module A, and six from Module B)
  •  2 x Table III (Business courses), by the time you apply to graduate.   


You can refer to the full 2019/20 Undergraduate Calendar, opens in new window degree requirements for details.

There are a ton of resources availible here at Ryerson.  This powerpoint presentation will help you begin to identify the variety of options available.  

PDF fileStudent Resources at Ryerson Powerpoint

Below you will find an extensive list, all with clickable links.  

If you have any questions please feel free to email us at and we will help guide you.

Academic Support Resources at Ryerson

Student Learning Support

SLS is a group of services and programs aimed at helping students engage more effectively in their academic studies. We teach essential academic skills and study techniques that help students to more effectively express their intelligence, apply their knowledge and communicate their ideas.

Support Areas:

  • Academic Accommodation Support,
  • English Language Support,
  • Study Skills & Transition Support,
  • Writing Support,
  • Test Centre


Tri-mentoring program

The Tri-Mentoring Program is a centralized model that offers mentorship opportunities to students of all identities across all faculties.  The program matches 1st year students with upper year students in the same program or with similar interests in order to help incoming students successfully transition into their 1st year at Ryerson.  Mentors then have the opportunity to be matched with an industry professional & will gain guidance and encourage students to progress towards their goals. We facilitate student's learning, leadership and employment through mentoring, getting students involved and having them meet other people. 


Academic Accommodation Support

Academic Accommodation Support helps students with single or multiple disabilities (such as learning disabilities, sensory impairments, acquired brain injuries, ADHD, and mental health, medical, and mobility issues). The Centre helps students secure academic accommodations so that they can fully participate in their academic experience at Ryerson.

Mental and Physical Wellness Resources

Ryerson Mental Wellbeing

Centre for Student Development and Counselling

The CSDC offers free, confidential counselling services for students in a professional and friendly environment. Services are provided by our team of psychologists, counsellors, and masters and doctoral interns.


Ryerson Medical Centre

Ryerson’s family doctors can help you take care of your physical and mental health.


Ryerson Health Promotion

Ryerson Health Promotion is a group of peer health promoters dedicated to promoting health and wellbeing on our university campus. They can provide you with information, resources and referrals to community agencies.


Student Support Resources

International Student Services

International Student Services, supports international students by offering individual assistance, orientation programs, information sessions, and networking events.


Aboriginal Student Services

Aboriginal Student Services, provides support for all First Nations, Aboriginal, Inuit, Metis, status and non-status students can balance academic learning with traditional teachings.


Centre for Women and Trans People

The Centre for Women and Trans People, external link is a safe and inclusive place for all self-identified women on campus. It provides educational pamphlets, referrals and resources on issues that include racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, eating disorders, housing, sexual assault, pro-choice resources, violent relationships, support programs, and women’s health. Men are welcome to use the Centre’s resources, but need permission to enter.


Ryerson Safe House

The Ryerson Safe House provides free and confidential emotional support and assistance to Ryerson students who:

Are at immediate risk of physical, sexual or emotional abuse
Are fleeing unsafe or intolerable living conditions
Have been made suddenly homeless as a result of compelling or extreme circumstances.


Security and Emergency Services

Ryerson Security and Emergency Services aids in crime prevention, personal safety and physical security awareness/education provided. Twenty-four hour emergency response, including crisis intervention/emergency management and referral.


Human Rights Services

Human Rights Services, opens in new window offers support for the Ryerson community, promoting a study, work, and living environment free of discrimination and harassment based on prohibited grounds (e.g. race, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion etc.).


Ombudsperson Office, opens in new window

The Ombudsperson Office, opens in new window is a confidential information, advice and assistance resource for those who wish to address what they believe to be unfair treatment at the University.


Ryerson Students’ Union Legal Advice and Referral Services

Ryerson Students’ Union Legal Advice and Referral Services, external link, opens in new window, external link offers legal advice related to family and criminal law, debt, landlord and tenant conflicts, corporate law, real estate, intellectual property, legal procedures and documents, dealings with lawyers, immigration, and difficulties with government agencies.


Office of Sexual Violence Support and Education

The Office of Sexual Violence Support and Education, opens in new window works from the premise that consent comes first. We believe that survivors should guide the process and we are here to provide options. We provide referrals to counselling and medical services, academic and workplace accommodations, self-care resources, advocacy and navigating resources. We can also help you in making an informed decision about next steps should you decide to report to university authorities or the police.


Ryerson Students’ Union (Equity Service Centres)

Good Food Centre

The Good Food Centre, external link provides free, non-perishable food items so you don’t have to study on an empty stomach. We also advocate for healthier, more affordable food on campus, and host events and campaigns on food (in)security and anti-poverty initiatives.


Racialised Students’ Collective

The Racialised Students’ Collective, external link opposes all forms of racism and works towards community wellness for students. Through education, campus and community organizing, and our commitment to struggle across differences, we seek to responsibly reflect, represent and serve self-identified racialized and indigenous students.



RyeACCESS, external link recognizes that students with disabilities have a diverse range of experiences both on and off campus. However, one experience that is consistent is disempowerment. As students with disabilities, it is our time to reclaim our bodies and minds, take control of the services we use, and work with our allies to achieve the freedom and autonomy we deserve.



RyePRIDE, external link seeks to create a positive and inclusive campus that is safe and welcoming for people from across the spectrum of sexuality and gender, including but not limited to: gay, lesbian, bisexual, two spirited, trans, intersex, queer and questioning students.


Trans Collective

The Trans Collective, external link main goal is to advocate for trans and gender non-conforming people by challenging oppression, creating space for community care, and educating those outside and within our community.


Peer Groups

SMASH (Students for Mental Awareness, Support, & Health)

SMASH increases mental health awareness and support for students through peer-to-peer support and advocacy for policy change within Ryerson University.


Be Well

Be Well seeks to enhance relaxation, and reduce anxiety among students in the Nutrition and Food program. It does this through activities such as x-box parties, boardgames, cooking, and other fun group activities.


Other Resources

Ryerson Athletics and Recreation

Ryerson Athletics and Recreation, external link offers group fitness and mind/body/spirit classes, including yoga and meditation


SHARP: Student Health Assistance and Resilience Program (Health Promotion)

The Student Health Assistance and Resilience Program (SHARP) is designed to help students develop lifelong skills for managing their health and well-being.

PDF filePDF file


Before Things Go Wrong:  You must notify your instructor or the teaching or program department/school as soon as circumstances arise that are likely to affect your academic performance. It is also your responsibility to try to resolve all course related issues with the instructor as soon as they occur and then, if needed, with the Chair/Director of the teaching department/school.

Types of Appeals

  1. Grade Appeal: Submit your appeal to the teaching department/school that offered the course. (Submit grade appeals for all Chang School courses to The Chang School, and the appropriate Program Director will coordinate the response with the appropriate department).
  2. Academic Standing Appeals: Submit your appeal to your program department/school.

Grounds for appeal

You may file grade and Academic Standing appeals based on one or more specific grounds (reasons):

  1. Medical;
  2. Compassionate;
  3. Prejudice; and
  4. Procedural Error

Consult the Significant Dates, opens in new window page for appeal deadlines.Timing is key – appeal deadlines are strictly enforced and you must submit the correct documentation and evidence.

Appeal Resources on Campus

Appeals forms, instructions, Policy, and Code of Conduct are available from Senate.

Links to policy, procedures and forms, can be found in the Undergraduate Calendar, opens in new window.

For advice and information on how to appeal a mark, grade, standing, or a charge of academic or non-academic misconduct, please contact:

Student Issues and Advocacy Coordinator
(416) 979-5255

Student Rights Coordinator
(416) 979-5000 ext.7056

Nora Farrell
(416) 979-5000 ext.7451

For advice concerning an appeal on the grounds of discrimination

Discrimination & Harassment Prevention Services 
(416) 979-5349

Don't know your "Advanced standing" from your "Academic Standing"?

Can't quite figure out what "Departmental Permission Required" means, or the difference between a "Prerequisite" and a "Corequisite"?!

That's okay, you are not alone!

Lecture vs. Tutorial: Class formats explained!

LECTURE: Depending on the size of the program you are in, there could be anywhere from 15 to 500 students in a lecture. The instructor may incorporate presentations, guest speakers, group participation and many other classroom techniques that encourage student engagement.

TUTORIAL: Many lectures may have a tutorial scheduled at a different time than the lecture. This breaks down the larger class into smaller groups and encourages discussion and participation. Tutorials may be run by the instructor or by a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Graduate Assistant (GA).

LABORATORY (labs): Some programs may have labs where you work either individually or in a small group to learn and experiment with the course material in a hands-on environment. In many cases labs are mandatory. Please ensure that you check the course outline or speak to your instructor for details.

SEMINAR: These are often used in graduate courses and are small in nature to encourage a great degree of class participation and class presentations.

STUDIO: Some programs may have studio classes in which you execute a design or production related to your field.

Any student that wishes to take a language class at Ryerson for the first time must take a placement test, opens in new window

You can also contact Languages, Literatures and Cultures, Faculty of Arts, opens in new window.

Wondering if you're on track?

image file
Download Studyplan