Dr. Olivia Das
Areas of Academic Interest
Performance and dependability evaluation of distributed software systems
Systems including Cloud, Mobile Cloud, Big Data and Internet of Things (IoT)
Evaluation through measurements, analytical models, simulation and machine learning techniques
Software performance engineering
Engineers move technology forward, ever improving the devices and systems on which society relies so heavily. Olivia Das is no exception to the rule. While her early post-secondary education was in applied mathematics, Das ultimately landed in computer engineering. The shift began during her master’s studies, with her first introduction to programming.
Today, Das applies her mathematical background to queuing theory and stochastic processes. “My research focuses on managing, measuring and modelling the performance and dependability of distributed systems,” says Das. “Both of these qualities are important not only for web but also for software applications.”
Das and her team of student researchers are working hard to make loading errors and lags a thing of the past. As systems continue to shift toward cloud computing, proper provisioning of backend servers has become increasingly essential. “We use mobile applications every day, and we want them to respond quickly and reliably.”
“My classroom is interactive. That’s the best way to learn.”
- Teaching Excellence Award, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University (2011)
- Visiting Faculty, Indian Institute of Technology-Kanpur (2012), International Institute of Information Technology-Hyderabad (2012)
- I. Sheikh and O. Das: Modeling the Effect of Parallel Execution on Multi-site Computation Offloading in Mobile Cloud Computing. European Workshop on Performance Engineering (EPEW 2018), Paris, France, October 2018, pp. 219-234.
- G. Zamani and O. Das. Impact of a Fault Management Architecture on the Performance of a Component-based System. European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC 2017), Geneva, Switzerland, September 2017, pp. 87-94.
- O. Das, A. Das: Estimating Response Time Percentiles of Cloud-based Tiered Web Applications in presence of VM failures. 12th International ACM SIGSOFT Conference on the Quality of Software Architectures (QoSA 2016), Venice, Italy, April 2016, pp. 1-10.
- Y. Shoaib and O. Das: Web Application Performance Modeling Using Layered Queueing Networks. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, Elsevier, 275, 2011, pp. 123-142.
- G. Franks, T. Al-Omari, M. Woodside, O. Das, and S. Derisavi: Enhanced modeling and solution of layered queueing networks. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 35(2), 2009, pp.148-161.
- Dependable Adaptive Systems Group (DAS)
- Member, Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
- Member, IEEE