You are now in the main content area

Other Types of Credits

A student holding a coffee cup passes under the Ryerson bridge on Church Street


Transfer credits are only granted for courses taken at other post-secondary institutions. You do not have to apply for transfer credits for courses taken at Ryerson University.

Courses that you completed in your previous Ryerson program or through the Chang School that apply toward your new program will automatically transfer. This includes courses completed through The Chang School where course codes are similar. For example, CACC 100 is equivalent to ACC 100.

If transfer credits have been granted toward one Ryerson program and you switch to another program, your transfer credits may require re-evaluation.

Re-evaluation is not necessary if you are switching between a full and part-time version of the same program, or if you are changing majors within a common program. For example, you are changing from BA Psychology to BA Sociology.

Once you have accepted the Offer of Admission to a new program, contact the Transfer Credit Unit to initiate a review of your transfer credits as some of your credits may require re-evaluation against your new program.

  • After formally enrolling in their new program, undergraduate students should run their Academic Advisement Reports to see how previously completed Ryerson courses apply to their new program
  • Undergraduate students may apply for Course Substitutions/Directives for courses listed as "Non-applicable" in their Academic Advisement Reports

Exchange Credits

Ryerson International helps students find opportunities to learn about other cultures and gain new perspectives on your chosen fields.

  • Prior to your Exchange, you will meet with your Ryerson program or exchange coordinator to determine suitable courses at the host university
  • To transfer your courses to Ryerson upon return, obtain an official transcript and meet with your exchange coordinator to complete the required paperwork
  • Once the paperwork has been processed you will be able to view your Exchange Transfer Credits on your Transfer Credit Report
  • Prior to registering for your Study Abroad program, you must obtain a Letter of Permission (LOP) for each course you wish to obtain a transfer credit for
  • Please be advised that some courses completed through the Study Abroad program are not eligible for transfer credit consideration
  • Upon completing the course(s), obtain an official transcript and follow up as per the instructions provided on your LOP
  • Once your LOP credits have been processed, you can view them on your Transfer Credit Report

Challenge Credits

A Challenge Credit grants Ryerson students an academic credit for a Ryerson course in recognition of skills and knowledge gained outside the traditional post-secondary school environment, e.g. through work experience. The experience gained replicates the subject matter of the course material.

Letter of Permission (LOP)

A Letter of Permission (LOP) grants Ryerson students permission to enrol in a course at another accredited post-secondary institution and confirms credit will be applied toward their Ryerson program. Credits will not be granted for courses taken at another institution if an approved Letter of Permission has not been issued prior to course enrolment. Students must meet eligibility and satisfy all other requirements.